Thursday, July 21, 2011

Give Stuff Away and They Will Come

The side of the house was getting to be a mess and I had promised myself that before wifey and pumpkin came back, I would have the whole house cleaned up and then some.

What is the fastest way to get rid of stuff? Give it away and they will come. I posted the ad on craigs list on 7/20 at 6:34 PM and at 6:35 PM, the emails started coming in, first a trickle and then an avalanche. By 6:40 PM I had counted 150 emails. I quickly contacted the first person that had responded. His name was Fernando. I was all prepared to speak in Spanish but his English was good. He promised to come the next day at 4 PM.

Meanwhile, I had some desperate emails. Some wanted the step exerciser. Another wanted the woman's bike.  And someone else was begging me for the child's booster seat - $17 at Walmart. There is a lot of desperation and pain out there.

Next day as promised, Fernando came with his brother. They were so grateful to take the stuff away. He told me to call him if I ever had anything else to give away. I waved goodbye as I saw my old bathtub being hauled away in an old Chevy pickup.

Here is the actual ad with notations and link to slideshow on what was going to be picked up:

PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME AT THIS TIME ASKING WHAT IS AVAILABLE. SOMEONE HAS ALREADY MADE A CLAIM FOR MOST OF THE ITEMS TO PICK UP TOMORROW. IF ANY ITEMS ARE NOT PICKED UP BY TOMORROW AFTERNOON, I WILL CONTACT THE NEXT PERSON DOWN THE LIST WHO RESPONDED TO THIS AD.

Item #1: Rabbit Cage

Item #2: Wheelbarrow (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #3: Bathroom Faucets (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #4: Trail Gator Bicycle Tow Bar (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #5: Metal Bath Tub (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #6: Step Exerciser (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #7: Hand Push Mower (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #8: Woman's Bicycle (Claimed for pick up 7/21/2011 at 4 PM)

Item #9: Child Booster Seat

View complete descriptions and pictures in my photobucket album:
http://s1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee489/eldorado2768/Free%20Stuff/

Let me know what items you are interested in and with the exception of the bath tub, I will place on the side of the garage for you to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...