Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fluffy's Muscle Spasms

Today I took a walk with Fluffy to Bel Air via the American River Parkway back end trail behind Gold River. There is a secret path I go through which helps me to avoid traffic. It actually goes through a junkyard.  Previously, going through that path meant battling with Spanish thistle and prickly bushes. That was clearly unacceptable for both me and Fluffy. I resolved to fix the problem and one Sunday a few weeks ago, I brought my heavy duty clippers. In the space of about 20 minutes, I had cleared the entire path of all problem branches and thorns, making it a pleasant route to travel.

I noticed that since I cleared the path, there appears to be much more traffic through that area.  The grass looks more flattened than before. But I am digressing. The real reason for my post was what happened after Fluffy and I exited the path and continued on cool, wet grass. All of  a sudden, Fluffy dropped to the ground and rolled around. This is something she loves to do in cool grass which looks like some type of celebratory squirm. I watched in delight as she wiggled back and forth in the grass. After a couple of minutes, I lightly pulled on the leash to get her back up but when she started walking, she began dragging  her right hind leg. Then she tried to hold the leg up. Then her left leg started dragging. I had her lie down on her back so I could check her out. Was it a thorn? I checked both her legs and paws. There was no thorn or prickly thistle in her fur. I held her leg up and it started to spasm. Then her other leg started to spasm. This was strange! What was  happening. I had her get up and we continued on. I watched carefully and after about 2 minutes, the limping disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...