Saturday, July 9, 2011

Chinese MA Meeting

This is my second MA meeting held in Newark which is in the east Bay. Pumpkin and wifey are already in Taiwan so it is up to me to once again gather information.

The unique aspect of today's meeting was the fact that the entire presentation by various leaders was in Chinese. In fact of the 100+ people attending the event held in a hotel ballroom, I was the only white person.  Did I care? No because I have always felt comfortable with people from different cultures. After all, I did live overseas in Taiwan for over a year.

Here was a good opportunity to see how much Chinese I could understand. Fortunately, most of the speakers included slideshows in their presentations which helped tremendously. Aside from the Chinese herbalist, I understood about 90% of what was spoken about. These were people who have achieved high "pin" levels in the organization, most earning between 15K - 35K each month.

For lunch we ate at the Com Tam Thanh Vietnamese restaurant across the street from the hotel. Mm good. I had a regular side bowl of Fa Ah or Vietnamese noodles and enjoyed company and conversation with women in my upline. By this time it was quite obvious that this business is more heavily skewed to female entrepreneurs. Not that there aren't any men, but the ratio is probably something like 70% - 30%.

Once again I was asked to sit for many hours at a time. This is not good. I don't know how I am going to handle these kind of all day events because my butt was getting really sore around 2 hours into the morning session. In addition, someone behind me kept goosing me around every 20 minutes. One time I turned around to see who the offending party was, but I just saw a couple of middle-aged men smiling back.

The meeting ended around 4 PM. We gathered outside to give some feedback. One of the guests expressed his denial that the MA products were scientifically proven to cure diseases. He is of course correct in that the FDA does not regulate nutritional products so claims cannot be verified. But others in the group responded in a way that I found makes a lot of sense and that is to use your own experience to prove whether it works or not. Certainly can't hurt. I added my own little feedback saying that I am glad that I do not have to reinvent the wheel. That little phrase was kind of difficult to translate into Chinese but somehow I managed to stumble through.

I got a ride home with Patricia Wang and Coco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...