Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bike is Dying

Yesterday on my way home, I noticed the back tire was riding kind of wobbly and it was making a noise as I rode. I tightened the quick release bolt but it didn’t have any effect. This morning I took it in to Bob’s Bicycles on Fair Oaks and Sunrise with the intention of dropping it off for a quick repair. The repair guy came out, took one look at it and asked me if I had considered buying a retail bike instead of a box store bike. Okay, I could kind of see where this was going. Problem, he said was that repairing the bike which meant possibly a new wheel, repacking bearings, fixing derailleur, etc would most likely exceed the value of the bike. He said with all the riding I do, he suggested getting a good, sturdy hybrid like the Trek 7.2 FX. I took a look at one and it does look like I could definitely ride faster and farther than the $150 cheapo Royce-Union bike I have been tooling around in the past 6 years.So I took home the brochure and checked around the net. Didn’t see anything less expensive than the $420.00 price tag so I am probably going to take the plunge. Maybe now I can keep up with at least some of the fancy, professional bike crowd with their fancy, shmancy t-shirts and designer bike shorts. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...