Thursday, April 19, 2007

Walking on Gold Country Blvd

A couple of days ago was my Taichi class. This particular day I was late again due to starting dinner late and not leaving the house until after 7 PM. It is at least a 15 minute drive to Folsom Lake College from Gold River and by the time I was on Bidwell heading north, it was already 7:25 PM which was really too late. I decided to just bypass the class and head straight to the gym up the road. I got to the parking lot and realized in my haste that I had forgotten my gym bag. Well, I can’t do any kind of workout without workout clothes so I headed over to Winco to buy some water and while meandering through the aisles at the supermarket, I devised a plan B. The plan was to drink an energy drink and then just do my own workout by walking back and forth along Gold Country Blvd. Yea, that’s a good one. Then I looked at the energy drinks near the cashier at the store and remembered how the last one I had didn’t taste that good and revised my plan. I wheeled the cart out to the car and as I was loading the water bottles into the car, I looked up and saw an old woman, could have been an old Russian woman, holding onto the bar of a cart return while slowly walking back and forth, all the while staring at me. Didn’t really know what to make of it. Jesse said the next day that maybe she was lost and had Alzheimer’s. Oh shit! Maybe I should have called the police. I’m sure that if that was the case, somebody should have noticed.Okay, back to the revised plan. I quickly got into the car, revved up the engine and made a beeline back to the freeway. Exited Sunrise, up to Bel-Air shopping center and into Starbucks for a grande nonfat latte. Is that how I am supposed to say it? I remember seeing a brochure once at Starbucks that instructs the customer on how to place an order. Got my coffee, sat down and tried to chug it down as fast as possible. Pretty hard to chug coffee, though no matter how hard I tried it wasn’t about to let me gulp so I sipped like a civilized person should sip. Not much to see here. Just a couple of college girls doing homework, a man in a green beret tinkering on his laptop and an overweight middle-aged man with his overweight 10 year old kid. Okay done. Now time to get moving.Leaving my car in the parking lot, I just took off down Gold Country Blvd. The walk from Sunrise to Hazel is just about 3 miles so I had quite a hike ahead of me. The park and school are located just around the halfway point so I stopped off to do some pullups and pushups. That felt good, especially with the surge of caffeine in my system, I pumped out 3 sets in record time. Even had time for a Yang 24 form Taichi set.After walking all the way to the entrance to the Nimbus hatchery it was time to turn around. Hmm, 3 miles there and 3 miles back. This was the day that I had parked my car at the Sunrise light rail and did my 3 mile walk to work and back so my legs had already been getting a lot of exercise. By the time I passed the park again, my legs were starting to get sore and tired. By the time I arrived back at the car at around 10 PM, the parking lot was nearly empty. I plopped into my seat. Oh did that feel good to sit down! Caffeine or no caffeine, I was ready to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...