Tuesday, June 5, 2007

More Life at the Gym

Bike riding is on hold because I literally rode my bike into the ground. That means more time at the gym. California Family Fitness is probably the best chain of gyms I have experienced. It is certainly better than 24 hour fitness. It is strictly a local chain with clubs in the Sacramento area only. As for my personal favorite, that would have to be the Folsom club on East Bidwell, hands down. It’s big and new and the air is good in there. Air quality is most definitely a factor since I don’t like to smell stink or any other smell while working out. I will get into more detail about that in the next blog but first a little more about the Folsom gym. I used to go there right after Tai chi class at Folsom Lake College during the last two semesters. Sometime near the end of the last semester, I had just gotten out of my car after arriving from the college and was on my way to the entrance from the far end of the parking lot when I noticed a fire truck and police cars right near the entrance at around 8:30 PM. Hmm, that looks odd, I thought. As I got closer, I saw paramedics working on someone lying in the street. Oh shit!, I thought. Some asshole in a giant truck or SUV must have mowed someone over because that parking lot is typically filled with large play toys of the affluent and it is not uncommon to see some rich punk peeling out of the parking lot after lifting weights. I watched with a growing sense of shock and sadness as the paramedics started to put away their equipment and finally cover the man with a sheet. On my way inside, I asked the front staff if they knew what had happened and one woman said he had just finished playing a round of racquetball and was on his way out when he simply collapsed right there on the pavement. He was a middle-aged guy in his forties from what they described. Wow, that’s scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...