Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Second Job

3 days a week at CDC is just not enough. I like Dino and they do treat me nice there but no basta dinero. Found an ad in Sacbee for part time bookkeeper position 2 days a week and holy bajoly it is only 1 mile from home. Yes, me gusta mucho.

Interviewed with the owner, Glenn and the outgoing bookeeper, Andrea.Both seemed nice.This is most definitely a small time operation. There are only3 people working up in the front. All the action takes place in the warehouse where they import speakers and parts from China, assemble and sell domestically. At first, I liked Glenn. Seemed intelligent. He told me his story about how he worked his way up in the business and now runs this successful business. Chris and Tony were the two guys working up front. Both were pleasant.

The office isn’t much to look at, kind of scattered type look but what caught my attention the first day I started work was the large sign hanging on the wall above me that essentially was a rambling diatribe about immigrants and how they should learn English or get the hell out of the U.S. Most definitely inappropriate for a front office. This was my first clue to Glenn’s eccentric personality. The other thing that he mentioned frequently was how he was Polish and the self-deprecating humor that revolved around his ancestry. Like I give a flying fuck. Now the personality profile is starting to emerge along with the setup for the impending confrontation...

Security, security,he would tell me. I don’t like things laying around and I want stuff to be tighter, more secure." Yes, makes sense. I understood perfectly but the weird thing about it was that this was the most unsecure office environment I ever observed. All the computers were essentially wide open, even the bookkeeper computer. I figured that if they want to have it that way, fine. But I was going to at least make my own login password protected and leave the rest alone. Mind you, this is simple Windows XP login screen where you select a user and login, nothing else.

Last Tuesday, I was working on the computer and suddenly Glenn walked in and began telling me about how he was locked out of the computer all day Sunday and couldn’t get in. What the fuck? So I asked him what login he was using. Didn’t let me finish a sentence. I tried asking him to trace back what he was doing and again he essentially told me to shut up cause he didn’t want to hear it and I was wasting his time. Instead of explaining his problem which turned out to be ignorance he chastised me and would not let me get one word in. That was it. I had had enough of this asshole.

Believe me, I completely understand when someone says, hey I am really unfamiliar with how to operate a computer so please do not make any changes without letting me know first. That is a lot different than saying, hey, don’t fuck with my computer. I was nearly ready to attack him physically I was that angry. I really wanted to beat the living crap out of him at that point. I forced myself to calm down. It was quiet in the office and the time went by slowly. It was around 3 o’clock and I signed off and got up to go into his office but his phone rang and I had to sit down again. A half hour went by and he was finally off the phone. I calmly got up, picked up my sunglasses and cell phone and walked in.
"I am resigning," I said calmly. He told me to sit down and I proceeded to tell him that no one is allowed to treat me the way he did out there. He started trying to justify himself but I wouldn’t have any of it. It was getting hot and I was now raising my voice. Asshole. You think I haven’t seen this shit before? Ever work at a company where the boss is completely clueless, running around like the emperor without his clothes and lashing out at others instead of doing something about their ignorance? I could have been mean to him and make him feel as bad as me by saying you think your ignorance is anything but transparent? How about spending a couple of hours in a class to learn about the most important piece of equipment in your office instead of spending all your free time driving around a track at a 150 mph? Get a fucking life.

No wonder his assistants, Chris and Tony are so meek. They must be intimidated by his quirky nature. I really don’t get it. He bragged about his education - MBA and engineering degree so I figured he must be somewhat intelligent. But here you have it. You can have the best education in the world and still end up being an idiot when it comes to how to run a business and more importantly how to manage people. I have absolutely 0 patience for assholes like that.

Addendum: A couple of years after this incident, I happened to be at California Family Fitness and ran into a colleague of Glenn’s. I casually asked him about NSA and he said that the company was out of business and Glenn had fled to China to look for cheap labor for another business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breathless

Dusk settled on the city and the air was crisp from a cool autumn breeze. Tom pulled up his overcoat higher to keep himself warm. He had ...